Welcome to the HSE Preschool of the Natural Sciences. We are so honored you have chosen HSE for your child’s preschool. We hope your time with us will be filled with growth, happiness and a love of learning.
The HSE Preschool of the Natural Sciences is part of Brooks School Elementary, Hoosier Road Elementary and Sand Creek Elementary.
We recognize preschool is a special time of learning for 3 to 5 year olds, and there are some things unique to our program.
- Class hours are 8:15-11:15 a.m. or 12:15-3:15 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Dismissal begins at 11:05 a.m. and 3:05 p.m. You are considered late if your child is not picked up by 11:15 a.m. and 3:15 p.m.
- If your child is a car rider, please be on time for drop-off and pick-up. If you are late dropping off (after 8:23 a.m. or 12:23 p.m.), you will need to go to your school’s office to drop off your child. If you are late picking up, you will need to pick up your child from the school’s office. Please remember there is a late-pick up policy. Following the third late pick up, you will be charged $10 for every 15 minutes late.
- HSE Preschool follows the school district calendar, with the exception of start date. Please refer to the Preschool calendar for Family Fridays. On those days, children will not attend, but eLearning will be available.
- When Hamilton Southeastern Schools is on a two-hour delay, the morning class will not attend. However, the afternoon class will attend as normal.
- You must enroll on-line prior to attending school. When enrolling, you must provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate, immunization records and proof of residency. If you need assistance, please contact Lisa Jones, Preschool Secretary, at email@example.com or 317-915-4256.
- Children receiving special services are eligible for transportation. A form must be completed and given to your child’s teacher. Please do not contact the transportation office. The transportation scheduler or your child’s driver will contact you with pick up and drop off times. Please know it may take up to a week for transportation to begin.
- If your child does not receive special services, he must attend the same days each week. Missed days may not be made up. Days of attendance are: 2 days per week (Tuesdays, Thursdays), 3 days per week (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays), or 5 days per week.
- All children pay a non-refundable enrollment fee that covers snack, school supplies, and consumable materials. There is no supply list for preschool, but teachers may ask for specific items like a family photo or journal.
- Monthly tuition is due by the 5th of each month. Tuition rates are as follows:
Attend 2 days per week - $120 per month
Attend 3 days per week - $180 per month
Attend 5 days per week - $300 per month
- Tuition payments may be made by exact cash or check in the vestibule outside the Brooks School Elementary office or on-line via EFunds at https://eps.mvpbanking.com/cgi-bin/efs/login.pl?access=55481. To pay on-line you will need to enter the amount you owe, and you will need your child’s ID number. This number is listed in Skyward as Other ID.
- If you wish to withdraw, please notify your classroom teacher and Lisa Jones, Preschool secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-915-4256. Please note, supply fees and tuition deposit are non-fundable.
- Please check your child’s backpack on a daily basis.
- All children need a change of clothes. If needed, please also supply the classroom with pull ups and wipes.
- Children play at preschool, and they may get dirty. Please also send the children in gym shoes as they are safer for the playground.
- Children do not need to be potty trained to attend preschool. When you are ready to begin training, please talk with your child’s teacher. We will support your efforts and mirror them as closely as possible at school.
- If your child will be absent, please contact his teacher and the transportation office (if necessary) at 317-594-4117.
- If your child has been ill, he must be symptom-free for 24 hours, without the use of medication, prior to returning to school. This is a HSE illness policy.
- If weather permits, children will go outside each day. Please make sure they are dressed appropriately. The children go outside unless the temperature is below 15 degrees.
- Any adult picking up your child must be listed as an emergency contact in Skyward and present a photo ID.
- Students may take study trips (field trips) throughout the year.
- Your family is a member of the Brooks School, Hoosier Road or Sand Creek Elementary family. Please attend school-wide events and support the PTO efforts.
eLearning consists of no video conference lessons but rather more independent work/lessons. eLearning will be used for school closings, such as weather, and Family Fridays. Please refer to the Preschool calendar for those planned eLearning days. Teachers will post to Canvas by 8:15 a.m.
We use Canvas as our platform for delivering eLearning. We realize Canvas may be new to some families. There are resources available to help you set up your account.
We love having family members volunteer. Classroom volunteers are used at the discretion of the teacher. A few things to remember:
- When you volunteer, you are not only spending time with your child but lending a helping hand as well. You may be asked to work in an area of the room where your child is not participating.
- Teachers must keep information about other students confidential. Please do not ask questions about other children or use your volunteer time to have a conference.
- Please do not share personal information, such as names of students, outside of the classroom.
- Siblings are not allowed to be in attendance.
- You must complete a background check with the district and watch an anti-bullying video. Instructions for doing so are found on line: https://www.hseschools.org/services/other/school-safety/visiting-and-volunteering
Teachers and Instructional Assistants
- Please know your child may act differently with you in the room. Some children have difficulty with family members present.
HSE Preschool has Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists. Children receive services from the therapists based upon their individual needs written into their IEPs. Therapists’ schedules vary by the children they serve. Each therapist is assigned to a classroom. Please contact your child’s therapist if you have questions.
The phone number for Brooks School Elementary is 317-915-4256. The phone number for Sand Creek Elementary is 317-915-4270. The phone number for Hoosier Road Elementary is 317-915-4240.
Dr. Kelli Servizzi, Preschool Coordinator, may be reached at email@example.com
The method of class communication varies by teacher. All teachers will communicate on a daily basis. Teachers will also post weekly updates to their Canvas pages.
Per the district policy, photographs of children may be used in school communications (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.) unless the family writes a letter stating they do not give permission. That letter may be given to your child’s teacher.
Birthdays are a special time, but due to the number of Hamilton Southeastern students who have various food allergies, no birthday treats will be allowed at school. Goodie bags may not be sent home either. Birthday party invitations may be handed out at school if there is one for each child.
Curriculum and Progress Reports
Through interests and the Indiana Preschool Foundations, children and teachers will engage in in-depth investigations that maximize each student’s potential and develop them into 21st century learners and leaders. The classroom is a language-rich, social environment. Communication skills, sharing, turn taking and play are at the forefront of our program.
While the schedule may vary, the Preschool day contains the following:
- Structured Learning – Children are working on fine motor and readiness skills, such as sitting at a table to complete a task, independent practice, and social skills. Activities may include puzzles, stringing beads, counting objects, or using an eye dropper.
- Community Circle – During this large group instruction, children listen to read alouds, participate in music and movement and learn social and self-regulation skills. This is also a time to discuss the daily schedule.
- Small Group Instruction – Located in different parts of the room, children rotate from area to area to work independently and with adults. Knowing how to follow a routine and multi-step directions and how to complete a task are important school readiness skills.
- Exploratory Play – This is open-ended time for children and adults to play with one another in areas of the room such as dramatic play, blocks, sensory table and light table. Exploratory Play allows children to expand upon their interests and build social-emotional skills.
- Outdoor Play – Time on the playground, weather permitting.
Children also participate in Math Workshop and Writer’s Workshop and project-based learning.
At the HSE Preschool, we do not have weekly themes. Each class learns about topics of interest to the children. During the year, they may discuss:
- Community helpers
- Healthy bodies
Learning will take place through read alouds, study trips, and hands-on activities to deepen children’s knowledge.
At the end of the second nine weeks and at the end of the year, report cards will be available on Skyward. For students who receive services, a separate quarterly report will be sent home with information on IEP goal progress