HSE Preschool Phase Reopening Plan 2020-2021
Preschool began on Monday, August 10, in a virtual instruction format. Like all of HSE, we have a Phase Reopening Plan.
Virtual Instruction – 100%
We use Canvas as our platform for delivering instruction. We realize Canvas may be new to some families. There are resources available to help you set up your account.
Students are provided with a bag of materials to support virtual instruction. Included in the bag are:
- Glue sticks
- Dry erase marker
- White plate to serve as a dry erase board
- Blank paper
- Lacing string
- LAMP (communication board)
- Game board
- Watercolor paints
On Fridays, teachers will send an email with the following week’s Zoom schedule and a list of supplies that will be needed.
- Zoom meetings will take place Monday-Thursday.
- All children may participate Monday-Thursday.
- The Zoom for the AM class will begin at 9:00 a.m.
- The Zoom for the PM class will begin at 1:00 p.m.
- Each Zoom will have a 15-minute community circle and a 15-minute reading and writing lesson or math lesson.
- All whole group Zooms will be recorded for viewing later.
- Children will also participate in small group or 1-1 Zooms depending on student need.
- Small group or 1-1 Zooms will take place within the regularly scheduled class window (9-11:55 a.m., 1-3:55 p.m.).
- Small group or 1-1 Zooms will focus on adaptive and social skills instruction.
- Tuition for each month we are in virtual instruction will be $80.
Our evaluations for special education services will continue during virtual learning. If you are concerned about your child’s developmental progress, please speak with your teacher or contact Dr. Kelli Servizzi, Preschool Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phase 2 – 50/50
When the district moves to Phase 2, Preschool students will attend their assigned a.m. or p.m. session for up to five days per week.
This opening means if your child has an IEP, he can attend school 5 days per week, and transportation will be provided. If your family pays tuition, your child will attend the number of days you selected upon registration (2, 3, or 5). The tuition prices agreed upon at registration will also take effect at Phase 2 ($120, $180, or $300 per month).
If you select in-person, the hours for the morning class will be 8:55-11:25 a.m. Doors will open for dismissal at 11:15 a.m. If you select in-person, the hours for the afternoon class will be 1:20-3:50 p.m. Doors will open for dismissal at 3:40 p.m.
As you can see, the class sessions are slightly shorter. This will allow the staff to clean the classroom and materials before the next group of children arrives.
Virtual instruction will remain an option through the semester. Virtual instruction will include a combination of synchronous and asynchronous Zoom sessions. Possible Zooms are live interactions with a classroom, small group with a teacher, and pre-recorded lessons. The cost for virtual instruction will remain $80 per month.
Please keep these in-person things in mind:
We ask you to partner with us and screen your child before sending him to school. Symptoms include:
Fever of 100.4F or greater
· Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
· Repeated shaking with chills
· Muscle pain
· Sore throat
· New loss of taste or smell
If your child is ill, your child’s teacher or the Preschool secretary may ask if the child is exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19.
If your child receives a positive text or is exposed to COVID-19, please contact Dr. Kelli Servizzi, Preschool Coordinator, at 317-915-4250 or email@example.com.
· Children must wear masks on the bus.
· Children must wear masks entering and exiting the building during drop off/pick up. It is recommended family member wear one as well.
· Staff will wear masks/face shields at all times.
· School will provide social stories upon request to help your child understand face coverings. Please help us by practicing wearing masks at home.
· Buses will be thoroughly cleaned before and after routes.
· Children must wear masks on the bus.
Drop Off/Pick Up
· All children will wash their hands when entering the classroom.
· Staff will sanitize their hands after each child is taken.
· We ask for your partnership and patience as drop off/pick up may take longer than usual. We also ask you wear a mask during this time.
· Please refer to the additional attachments with your specific Preschool location’s procedures.
· Please provide a change of clothes your child’s teacher may keep at school.
· We understand children have items that comfort them, but toys, blankets, stuffed animals, etc., need to remain at home.
· Each child was given a supply bag at the beginning of virtual instruction. Please put your child’s name on it and return to school.
· Snack and water will be individually wrapped or served by a staff member. Unless medically required, no outside food may be provided.
· You may provide a water bottle for your child.
· Children will have assigned spots or individual chairs for community circle.
· For exploratory time, children will be placed in small groups. Each group will remain in one area for the entire exploratory time. All items in the area will be thoroughly cleaned before another group has access.
· All hard surfaces will be thoroughly cleaned before and after class and after each use.
· Soft items, like stuffed animals, play clothing, etc., have been removed.
Children will stay with their classmates for the duration of the school day. Classes will not combine.
- Learning may take place outside as much as possible.
- Only one class will be on the playground at a time.
- Items such as shovels and buckets, chalk, pots and pans, etc., will be put away. Ride-on cars will be wiped down after each use.
- Children will have assigned spots or individual chairs for community circle.
- For exploratory time, children will be placed in small groups. Each group will remain in one area for the entire exploratory time. All items in the area will be thoroughly cleaned before another group has access.
- All hard surfaces will be thoroughly cleaned before and after class and after each use.
- Soft items, like stuffed animals, play clothing, etc., have been removed.
- Children will stay with their classmates for the duration of the school day. Classes will not combine.
Phase 3 – 100
There will be no change to the schedule for Phase 3. Hours remain 8:55-11:25 a.m. and 1:20-3:50 p.m. Virtual instruction will remain an option for the remainder of the first semester.
- Family Fridays
On these Fridays, children will not attend Preschool. Staff members will use the days for activities such as holding case conferences and individual meetings with families and creating visual supports for the classroom and home.
Please mark these dates on your calendar as “No Preschool.”
Friday, August 28, 2020
Friday, September 25, 2020
Friday, October 30, 2020
Friday, January 29, 2021
Friday, February 26, 2021
Friday, March 26, 2021
Friday, April 30, 2021